January 14, 2007

I can't stand sports.

Good afternoon Badger fans, hope to find all of you well. In the words of the immortal Tommy Boy, let me tell you why I suck. Although I now call Madison my home due to scholastic obligations I am originally from Philadelphia. I enjoy being from Philadelphia. It's a great city full of thousands of things to do, one of which is to watch one of the four major sports teams that the city offers. I have been to countless Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers games in my 21 years and usually they are a great time. However, as many of you may have noticed the Eagles lost in dispicable fashion last night to the Saints in the Divisional Playoffs. Did Andy Reid really punt on 4th and 15 with less than two minutes left in a game he was losing by three? On 3rd and 1 from the three yard line did he really run a bootleg with Jeff Garcia when we had Brain Westbrook (who has turned into quite the running back) in the backfield? I can't stand the gutless play calling that took place in the game. The Eagles have broken my heart for as long as I can remember and I have never actually enjoyed a football season because even when the Birds are playing well I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop and them to lose in terrible fashion. I know this isn't a forum for me bitching about the shitty state of my favorite professional sports teams, but I wanted to get this out and so everyone knows why I'm constantly pessimistic about sports. Cool, man.

So, this is a bit late, but I attended the Capital One Bowl with a bunch of my friends and I have to say that it was the best time I ever had at a Badger sporting event. The crowd was electric, blowing Arkansas and the stupid "woooooo pig sooie" cheer out of the water. We were more creative, louder, and clearly we're having a better time then they were. Our band was also on another level. The game wasn't the greatest in terms of the actual plays but the Badgers won so I can't really complain. I was extremely pleased to see that Zach Hampton (apparently) was instructed to not field any punts that he had to move to catch/fumble. The extra 15 yards we'd lose on every punt was worth actually retaining possession. P.J. Hill looked awful, but the O-Line (sans Joe Thomas) played like a bunch of blocking dummies. John Stocco was at his medicore best, not losing the game but definitley not winning it. I really have never been a big fan of his but, like Trent Dilfer did that one year the Ravens won the Super Bowl, Stocco managed the games well and let the defense and the running game do their respective things. Calling a QB a "game manager" is fun because it's a nice way to say that they suck and I'd rather be nice about things. The Badgers are looking good for next year too, only losing two starters on offense and losing four on defense. Both lines should be dominant next year and running back and wide receiver will be improved. The addition of John Clay will only increase the potentcy of the offense, getting Randle El back will make it possible for more fun trick plays! I think trick plays are cool, so piss off.

It has been a pretty good year to be a Badger fan what with the National Championship in hockey, the 12-1 season in football, and basketball dominating so far this season (knock on wood). So you'd think that I would be pretty happy with sports but the Badgers can never replace Philadelphia in my heart. And believe me, I already know how sad it is that sports have this much sway over how I feel. On Wisconsin and Minnesota sucks!

No comments: