January 19, 2007

Northwestern, we are the shit

For those of you who don't know me, a long-standing tradition of mine has been to hate on my very own Wisconsin Badger men's basketball team. It's not that I prefer to cheer for other teams instead, (although most people who know me will tell you my sports allegiances are erratic at best) but rather I find our style of play to be somewhat boring. Before I continue, I will have all of you know that, all things considered, I am a Wisconsin Badger fan above all else so don't be disillusioned by my posts on this blog.

Well, on to the matter at hand then. Before our basketball season began this year I held my usual position of "we're not the 7th best team in the nation" and other viewpoints that would likely be considered anti-Wisconsin hoops when discussing the prospects for our team with my roommates/friends. During our conversation I made a deal that I would whole-heartedly support our basketball team if we could beat Northwestern in Evanston on January 13th. I chose this game because, as many of you likely know, Wisconsin has a robust tradition of losing in Evanston to teams that have no business being on the same court/field/track/lake/pool/etc. as us.

Much to my surprise something happened in between our wager and the Northwestern game...I actually started to like our basketball team. I found their play to be exciting (sans our fleet of under-achieving, over-rated big white boys) and their winning to be amazing. So as I watched our game against Northwestern this past week I was torn. On the one hand I really wanted to show up all my roommates by correctly predicting what would appear to be a massive upset to the untrained eye. On the other hand, my new-found love for Wisconsin basketball (and the fact that I attend this fine institution) compelled me to cheer on our squad. Well, wouldn't you know it, we actually won!

To make a long story short, I hereby profess my undying allegiance to the Wisconsin men's basketball team...until next year.

ON WISCONSIN!

No comments: